Social Icons

.

18 October 2014

The Devils have officially priced me out of going to premium games ... and likely any games for that matter



I have been a fan of this team since around 1986. When I was in high school, college and post-college, I loved going to games. I would occasionally drive from Newport, R.I., just for a night to go to a Devils game at the old Continental Airlines Arena.

And now, I know for sure, there isn’t a chance in hell I’ll be going to a home game anytime, perhaps ever.

Tonight’s home opener will likely be sold out. There are just a pocket of seats available in the upper tier and a handful in club seats (which do not come with food anymore, by the way, if you buy them on a game-by-game basis).

But it is the upper-corner seats that have me quite angry with this organization and that’s because let’s say I wasn’t in Port St. Lucie, Fla., right now and was instead in New Jersey, if I wanted to go to the game and pay the least amount possible to get in, it would cost me, per seat (and this is without all the stupid fees paid to use your own ink, printer and paper to get these tickets, mind you) $84.90. There is not a cheaper seat than $84.90 for tonight’s home opener. (See red arrow pointing to said seats).

In that very same section, a few years ago, when the Devils opened the building with a game against Ottawa, the seats — $20.

I am sorry. As much as I love this team, there is not a chance in hell I’d pay $84.90 to see the Devils. I don’t care who the opponent is. I don’t care if there will be a 3-D show at 6:45 p.m., before the game starts. These prices are too high — and I just cannot believe there are people who really pay these prices to go to games.

I understand with this new pricing scheme the Devils have developed, these same seats are cheaper for weeknights, lesser opponents, non-Opening Night games, etc. But this just irks me. For some, $84.90 is the equivalent of day’s wage. Imagine parting with that to see a game? I just don’t get it.

The new owners have done a lot of things right since they bought the team. This isn’t one of them.

And sadly, this 28-year Devils fan will likely never see his team in person at home ever again.

That is, of course, unless pricing changes.

And for that, I won’t be holding my breath.

What are your thoughts? Comment here, on Google+ or on our Facebook Group. We hope you’ll consider sharing posts you enjoy with other Devils fans on Facebook, Twitter and Google so that we can continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on anything discussed here on NewJersey-Devils.com. While we do moderate comments (for SPAM), we will publish anything that is not libelous in nature so long as your name is attached to it. If you don’t have one of the accounts listed, you can manually enter your name and URL if you have a website. The only comments that won’t be posted are anonymous comments. So what are you waiting for? Comment away!