Social Icons

.

22 July 2011

Doc's Leaving the Devils Is Like Losing a Friend

Mike 'Doc' Emrick,  Ph.D.
Back in 1993, I left New Jersey for Newport, R.I., having transferred from Seton Hall University to Salve Regina University. Mind you, this was well before the days of NHL Ticket -- and the only way to see Devils games in Rhode Island was when they played the Bruins or Whalers -- or in going to Bobby Valentine's sports pub in nearby Middletown, R.I.

So it came as a huge disappointment in October 1993 when I learned Gary Thorne was no longer the Devils' play-by-play announcer, having been replaced by the already-immortal Michael "Doc" Emrick. I couldn't believe it -- my first year away, Doc was back with the Devils, and I'd barely get to hear him.

Regardless, because of breaks and because those years the Devils were often playing late into each post-season, I got my share of Doc. And after graduation from Salve, it was the same. First it was with Peter McNab. Then with Doug Sulliman for a year. And finally Chico Resch.

Yet it didn't matter who he was paired with, Doc was the best at what he did -- and was, to me, the best in all of sports.

His words have stuck with generations of Devils fans. Who could forget 1995.

"The championship to New Jersey. The Devils win the Stanley Cup!"

It was the first of three Cups for the Devs, and sadly, the only time he got to call a Cup winner for them. ABC covered the Finals in 2000 and 2003, and it was Gary Thorne who had the honors.

For nearly 20 years, Doc's voice came into our living rooms -- every October through as late as May. He called a game like no one else could, a true wordsmith.

When I found out he was leaving the Devils to work only with NBC and whatever they call Versus in the coming months, I felt like I lost a dear friend. His voice was a part of some of the greatest memories I've ever had. And now, come October, he won't be there, save for the rare occasion NBC or Versus carries a Devils game.

I'll miss him -- and thousands others will, too.

Yet rather than being upset with the move, it's a time to remember just how fortunate we were to have the best announcer to ever put on a headset. And if you don't get that, simply turn on a hockey game from anywhere else around the country.

Maybe then it'll all make sense as to just how lucky we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on anything discussed here on NewJersey-Devils.com. While we do moderate comments (for SPAM), we will publish anything that is not libelous in nature so long as your name is attached to it. If you don’t have one of the accounts listed, you can manually enter your name and URL if you have a website. The only comments that won’t be posted are anonymous comments. So what are you waiting for? Comment away!